KO8: Mannheimer HC – Hampstead & Westminster

3 - 3 (5 - 4 SO)
15 Apr 16:30 CET
Club Egara, Spain

Match highlights

'4Teo HinrichsT. Hinrichs

'13Justus WeigandJ. Weigand

'16Paul MelkertP. Melkert

'28Mario SchachnerM. Schachner

'31Teo HinrichsT. Hinrichs

'33Sam FrenchS. French


'41Matt Guise-BrownM. Guise-Brown

'60Teague MarcanoT. Marcano


SOWill CalnanW. Calnan

SOLinus MüllerL. Müller

SORupert ShipperleyR. Shipperley

SORaphael HartkopfR. Hartkopf

SOTeague MarcanoT. Marcano

SOJustus WeigandJ. Weigand

SOKei KaeppelerK. Kaeppeler

SOErik KleinleinE. Kleinlein

SOMatthew RamshawM. Ramshaw

SOGuido BarreirosG. Barreiros

SORaphael HartkopfR. Hartkopf

SOWill CalnanW. Calnan

SOLinus MüllerL. Müller

SOTeague MarcanoT. Marcano

Watch the MAN vs HAW highlights

TERRASSA Euro Hockey League Ranking Cup 2022 Men Mannheimer HC v Hampstead & Westminster (KO8) Picture: Teo Hinrichs WORLDSPORTPICS COPYRIGHT STANISLAS BROCHIER

Match report

Mannheimer HC won their trilogy match against Hampstead and Westminster to advance to the FINAL4 but only after a wild rollercoaster in which they led 3-0 but ultimately needed a shoot-out to advance.

The opening goal was a direct result of a turnover from Hampstead with Teo Hinrichs taking advantage and slotting the first home.

The second, in the 13th minute, was a cheeky slip to Justus Weigand to distract the defence who expected Gonzalo Peillat to strike.

A minute later Hampstead’s Kwan Browne almost opened the scoring for the English side with a 1v1 on the Mannheim keeper Lukas Stumpf but was stopped in his tracks.

And the lead was three in the 28th minute from a perfect passage of play from Mannheim with a sublime finish from Mario Schachner who roofed it into the back of the net, leaving Reynolds-Cotterill with no chance of getting anywhere near it.

The Hampstead comeback started early in the second half from a corner; the initial strike was saved with the umpire playing advantage, as Sam French scrambled to the ball and poked it over the line, giving the Londoners a lifeline.

Much to the delight of the noisy junior supporters from Hampstead, they won a string of corners and were eventually rewarded in the 41st minute with Matt Guise-Brown cutting the gap to 3-2.

They could have gone level from the penalty spot but Stumpf stood tall to save it, sending the game right down to the wire. Hampstead went for a powerplay, throwing everything at Mannheimer. Always a risk, but with Kwan Browne shepherding the defence a risk worth taking as they equalised with one second on the clock via Teague Marcano.

It earned a shoot-out which went all the way to the seventh round with Stumpf saving after Linus Müller clattered in during suddent death.

Chris Cargo, captain of Hampstead was really happy with his team’s performance in the second half: “Yeah to come back from 3-0 down and bring the game to a shoot-out was impressive from the guys. Often it’s the team who levels the game that has the impetus to go on and win the shoot-out, but it wasn’t to be today.”

Jan-Philipp Fischer of Mannheim, speaking about the second half and what went array “Yeah to be honest I’m not sure what happened, they created a lot of pressure, but we will certainly have to watch back the video and do our analysis. We are happy to be in the semi-final and will start our preparation tonight and over the next day.”