Genestet sends Saint Ger fans wild with last ditch win over Egara

©: Frank Uijlenbroek / World Sport Pics

Pool D: Club Egara – Saint Germain
Hugo Genestet scored a penalty stroke with 71 seconds to go to earn Saint Germain a famous 6-4 victory over Club Egara and advance to the KO16 at the top of Pool D.

Saint Ger skipper Francois Goyet summed up the mood as his team was mobbed by a large travelling group of fans from Paris: “It’s really amazing, just look at all these hockey fans that came here for us. Incredible. Tough game, we are so happy.

“We know them well, a very good team with a lot of talent. The return of Pau Quemada has been really important for them but I think we deserved it today. It was close but a great victory. We fight until the last second and did it!”

The two sides played out a blood and thunder battle from the very outset with chances at each end, lots of passion, making for a brilliant match.

Joris Harou and Saint Ger drew first blood with a field goal in the 12th minute, diving onto the end of Francois Goyet’s right wing cross. Egara fought back and were on the scoreboard with Marc Recasens firing in a drag-flick to halve the gap.

But Saint Germain moved 4-1 up at half-time when Willem-Ike Jeammot got a delightful near post touch after a gorgeous piece of team play around the left side of the pitch.

It gave Egara a mountain to climb but they got a bonus in the second minute after half-time when a long overhead bounced between two defenders and was missed by Arthur Thieffry allowing Xavi Aguilar score the simplest of tap-ins.

The game was getting increasingly heated with Egara making the chances and Saint Ger defending in numbers. Thieffry made amends with a brilliant save from Aguilar who was clean through.

The leveller for 4-4 arrived with four minutes to go when Jordi Farres’s switch-flick snuck over the line from a corner. It put Egara in a winning position and their position was strengthened with Pierre-Louis Verrier in the sin-bin.

Saint Ger, though, made a rousing fightback, winning two corners and then a stroke with 71 seconds left as Pere Arch got a ten-minute yellow card. Genestet slotted that stroke to put the French side in front yet again and they survived the last seconds for their victory.